National integration is the awareness of a common identity amongst the citizens of a country. It means that though we belong to different castes, religions and regions and speak different languages we recognize the fact that we are all one.
This kind of integration is very important in the building of a strong and prosperous nation.____(www.preservearticles.com) National integration is a positive aspect. It reduces socio-cultural and economic differences or inequalities and strengthens national unity and solidarity, which is not imposed by any authority. People share ideas, values and emotional bonds. It is feeling of unity within diversity. National identity is supreme. Cultural unity, constitution, territorial continuity, common economic problems, art, literature, national festivals, national flag, national anthem and national emblem etc promote National Integration._____(wiki.answers.com) National Integration most simply and briefly means national unity. It is unity in diversity.
It means unifying all the forces in the country so as to give the idea of one nation.____(Nikky at www.indiastudychannel.com) Dr.S.RADHAKRISHNAN has rightly said that “National Integration cannot be built by brick and mortar, it cannot be built by chisel and hammer. It has to grow silently in the minds and hearts of men. The only process is the process of education” National Integration most simply and briefly means national unity. It is unity in diversity. It means unifying all the forces in the country so as to give the idea of one nation. National Integration involves :-
1)The sentiments of nationalism
2) The feeling of oneness.
3) Social, political, economic, linguistic and cultural unity.
4) Common ideas of life and common code of behavior.
5) The ability to subordinate sectarian and parochial loyalties to loyalty of the nation.
Obstacles to National Integration
1) CommunalismThe greatest menace to the national solidarity of a country is communalism.
2) ProvincialismThe second danger to national integration is provincialism. It springs from the same sentiments which work behind communalism.
3) Unemployment Unemployment intelligentsia is the greatest threat to national cohesion. It causes frustration, Complexes, conflicts, restless and discontentment. A frustrated youth is country’s worst enemy. 4) Lack of social sense
In our country, we are self- centred and do not realize that we have duties towards them as they have towards us. 5) CasteismEven now it is the greatest curse for our national unity. Different castes look to the benefit of their own castes. They do not bother for national benefit. Thus constructive activities are stopped. Caste loyalties are strong impediments to the homogeneity of the nation.
6) Different political parties In our country there are many political parties. Out of these some work for the growth of the national unity but there are certain other parties which cause national disruption. 7) Lack of good leadership
The success of democracy depends upon the good leaders. Most of our leaders are selfish and unscrupulous. They either work for their own wested interests. they do not care for the national interest. Such leaders stand as an obstacle is the path of national unity. 8) Frustrated youth Youth of today is sitting at the crossroads. He is frustrated because of the rampant corruption, favouritism, unemployment, uncertain future etc.
9) Domicile restrictions Three are domicile restrictions in various colleges, especially in professional colleges in India. How can the people of all the states gather under one flag and how can all the communities and castes become indistinguishable if such barriers exist. 10) Lack of national character
In India, at every step disruptive tendencies such as adultration in food and beverages and even in life-saving drugs, bribery, black-marketing, smuggling etc are prevalent. Because of these tendencies, national integration faces a great danger.