◙ Course Description:This course is designed to enhance the knowledge of the student, and also to sum up the vivid world of tourism. The subject matters introduce the students to the socioeconomic, environmental and cultural impact of the tourism industry. It also gives an overview of the travel sectors – their development, composition, and role in tourism as well as the different trends and types of operation of each sector.
◙ Desired learning ResultsAt the end of the semester, the students should able to:
1. Understand how tourism works and how it can be made to work them and their business. 2. Realize and justify the value of tourism that benefits humanity and the society in honor of the almighty. 3. Apply the principle that will guide them in planning and developing activities of tourism in the future. 4. Demonstrate concern and respect in the environment and society. 5. Become expert in all facets of travel activities.
6. Know the tourism’s growth and its impact on today’s world.
Period| Expected Lasallian Graduate Attribute(ELGA)| Desired Learning Objective| Topics| Performance Tasks/Assessment Tasks/ Finals product| Learning Activities| Resources| 1st – 2nd Week| God loving and socially concern| Explain and make sense of the meaning of tourism and its importance to humanities and to the country.Explain the impact of tourism in economic and environmental aspect. And as well as to understand the positive & negative effect of tourism.| I. The impact of tourism |
* Individual research output of the importance and benefits of tourism. * Submission of data research on the positive & negative effect of tourism on the economy & society.| * Power point presentation for Group discussion and analysis of the impact of tourism in economy & society.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.www.wikipedia.com| 3rd week| Morally Upright |
Explain the meaning and reasons of tourism planning, and role and responsibilities of for tourism planning.Describe the barriers to planning and planning process.| II. Tourism planning | * Group research and presentation of the Tourism planning in developed & developing countries.| * Group research and presentation of the Tourism planning in developed & developing countries. | Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.Tourism planning & management 1st editionVikas Choudhary| 4th week| Self giving |
Compare and contrast the relation between tourism planning and tourism development. Show the role of the government and the private sector in tourism development.| III. Tourism development | * Individual submission of 7 steps in the tourism project evaluation and analysis system.| * Group discussion and analysis based on the difference between tourism planning and tourism development.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.Tourism planning & management 1st editionVikas Choudhary| 5th week| Social responsible|
Explain the uniqueness of tourism marketing and discuss the market segmentation and product life cycle.| IV. Tourism Marketing | * Individual submission of case study evaluation | * Participatory discussion focus on tourism marketing.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.| | | | PRELIM EXAMINATION| | | |
7th week| Morally up right and self giving| Compare and contrast the relationship of promotion to marketing.Explain the tourism promotion and traveler’s buying process.| V. Tourism Promotion| * Group discussion of the major issues of promotion. * Group presentation on how to promote tourism industry in the Philippines.|
* Film showing on promoting Philippine tourism industry. Group discussion on the factors constitutes promotion and traveler’s buying process.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.www.yahoo.com| 8th week| Self giving| Explain the meaning of tourism distribution channel.Analyze the relation of distribution channel & strategies in tourism industry.| VI. Tourism Distribution Channel| * Submission of individual data based research. |
* Library research that focus on the different types of travel intermediaries & distribution strategies.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.| 9th week| Socially responsible| Compare and contrast the transportation and travel evolution.Analyze and identify the historical development of transportation system.| VII. Transportation services| * Group presentation and documentation on their museum visitation.|
* Visiting museum that tells about the evolution of transportation & travel. | Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.| 10th -11th week| Professionally competent and socially responsible| Explain the history of the accommodation or lodging industry.Give the different types of accommodationCompare and contrast different classification of accommodations and lodging industry.| VIII. Accommodation | * Group presentation of research data|
* Group discussion focus on the accommodation & lodging industry. * Group research regarding the different accommodation and lodging industry within metro manila.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d.www.ask.com| | | | MID-TERM EXAMINATION| | | |
13th -14th week| Self giving| Show the history of food and beverage service. And explain the different types of restaurant.| IX. Food Service| * Submission of group data based restaurant exposure| * Power point presentation regarding food service. * Group presentation of restaurant exposure.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.dwww.wikipedia.com| 15th -16th week| God loving and socially responsible| Explain and analyze the meaning & different views of recreation and leisure.Discuss the factors promoting the growth of recreation.| X. Recreation and Leisure|
* Group presentation and documentation of recreation and leisure experience. * Submission of reaction paper| * Power point presentation on recreation and leisure. * Educational trip| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.d| 17th week| Professionally competent| Shows the importance of gaming entertainment industry.Describe and explain the history of the gaming entertainment business.Critique and show the controversial elements of the gaming entertainment industry.| XI. The Gaming Entertainment industry|
* Sample of different gaming entertainment industry in the Philippines.| * Group discussion focus based on gaming entertainment industry. * Internet research and library research for pertinent documents gaming entertainment industry in the Philippines.| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.dwww.ehow.com/travel.documents| 18thweek| God loving, morally upright and socially responsible.| Shows the different career opportunities in the gaming entertainment industry.
Describe trends in tourism and relate to your experiences.Reach a common understanding about the issues concerning tourism and hospitality.| XII. Current Trends and Issues in Tourism and Hospitality especially in recreation & leisure industry and Gaming entertainment industry.| * Submission of case study evaluation * Submission, documentation and presentation of recreation & leisure industry and gaming entertainment industry in the Philippines.| * Group evaluation of case study on the issues of tourism.
* Participative discussion on the trends and issues in tourism and hospitality industry (recreation & leisure industry and gaming entertainment industry).| Principles of tourism part II(Updated edition)Zenaida L. Cruz, Ph.dwww.ehow.com/travel.documents| | | | FINAL EXAMINATION| | | |