Some people misuse their leisure. They would either pass it in sleeping, playing cards, idle gossip, listening to the radio, or at the most in visiting the pictures. They are all passive activities-activities in which they do nothing and which do not at all require any use of their brains. Therefore, such people feel bored and instead of wishing for more of leisure, wish for less of it. To avoid this they should do something creative which makes them active. Use of leisure activities
The spending of leisure rightly is an art, and a difficult art. It must be spent in activities which require some, “doing”, some acting, some use of the brain. The correct way of passing leisure is to acquire culture, to make and contemplate beautiful things. During holidays, one may go out on picnics, as is done in the west, and thus get an opportunity of enjoying the beauty and freshness of nature. Picnics are health giving and provide the much needed change so essential for health and well-being.
They refresh the mind and make it forget for the time being the prosaic cares and worries of this sorry life of ours. They provide the much needed touch of poetry in one’s life. They increase efficiency and send back a man to his work with greater enthusiasm and energy. Advantages of leisure activities:
• Relief from stress and boredom. It can help promote not only better emotional health but physical health as well.
• A feeling of control. Job or school demands might not give us that freedom.
• Enhanced communication skills and self-esteem. Shy or introverted people can benefit from group activities that are based on shared interests.
• Wider horizons. You can meet new people, learn new things and gain valuable perspective.
• A positive teaching model for children, who often learn better by example than by words alone. Your own behavior in group or family activities helps teach your children about: o Communication with others