Human rights and the Issue on the Privatization of Water

Water and air are among the most basic factors of nature that are pre-created for man to actually use for the sake of living survival. Through the years, these particular factors of the environment have been considered to be the easiest factors of the earth’s environment that could be accessed by the human population. However, with the impending growth of population around the world, there is a need of increasing the sources of water.

Meeting this particular challenge indeed is not an easy task to face especially for national governments. The fact that there are many thirsty ones who needs to be provided with water, there are those who wants to earn form the said social adversary for their own benefit. According to World Health Organization (WHO) report 2004, one out of every six people lack safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.

Also according to the same report about 3900 children die every year from water borne diseases (Kaufmann 34). This particular report supports the idea that the problem on water issues around the world is indeed an important factor of social dilemma that needs to be given clear attention and solution especially by those who are in position of doing so. Water crisis can take several forms one of which is the resultant situations when there is scarcity of water.

The other could be in the form of how water resources should be managed like either to be run or provided by the government of the country or by private entrepreneurs. Despite the fact that the world is made up of 70% water most of which is in the ocean, only 3% is fresh. As for a fact, even about three quarter of the fresh water is confined and locked away in the form of ice caps and glaciers in the Polar Regions which are not habited by human beings. This leaves about 1% of the total available fresh water available for human consumption.

This little water is subjected to competition between human consumption like drinking and sanitation, agricultural activities such as irrigation and also environmental functions such as in the ecosystems and dependant species (United Nations: Declaration on the Right to Development: Internet). Most likely, taking advantage of the provisions given by the environment in this situation has been the main cause of the distributing procedures done by the national governments of different countries.

As a result, this competition eventually may lead to water crisis due to the scarcity of this precious commodity. Some companies have even managed to find ways by which to purify the other percent of water that are not intended for drinking to be able to produce potable water. Although this particular modern innovation in terms of social water solutions appear to be positive, some factors that involve the companies’ main aim in the production of the said purified drinking water have a negative impact on the distribution procedures and the motives of the said business groups.

This is where the issue on the privatization of the water sources and the distributing procedures come into the scene. The e question then rises: How is water distribution supposed to be handled; by privatizing the process specifically letting private business organizations handle the distributing procedures; or by handling the issues through a public developmental program that would be handled by the government through using the funds that are intended for the said projects that are to be primarily established?

Water and Human Rights-The Connection It has been said many times that “water is life”. Literally water is the source of life on earth. Both animals and plants depend on water to survive; as for a fact, it is the reason why earth has been noted as the only living planet because of the fact that it holds a large amount of water reserves that makes it conducive for living. Human beings and animals and other living creatures depend on water to live.

The human body is made up of 70% water and the other parts 30% in the form of bones and flesh tissues. Because the human body is 70%, we feel thirsty after a loosing 1% of body fluids and also risk dying when the loss of body fluids approaches 10%. Human beings are said to survive for only a few days without fresh water. As for a fact, the cases of dehydration that have been caused by several health issues and other medical procedures have been causing the highest tolls of death around the world.

The countries which have the lesser source or the limited outlet of fresh water have lesser life-span compared to those countries which are able to access water at the best possible sources that they could as reported by the London Times (2005, 13). Surely, this thought proves the fact that there is indeed a large scope of crisis that the shortage of water puts upon the idea that there is a need of attaining the solution to the problem in a much advanced and fast procedure.