OverviewChevron Corporation is an American multinational energy corporation. Headquartered in California, and active in more than 180 countries, it is engaged in every aspect of the oil, gas, and geothermal energy industries, including exploration and production; refining, marketing and transport; chemicals manufacturing and sales; and power generation. Chevron is one of the world’s six “supermajor” oil companies.
Chevron is one of the largest foreign investors in Bangladesh, supplying nearly 50 percent of the country’s natural gas consumption. The two-year startup of the Bibiyana Field demonstrated Chevron’s ability to handle complex projects involving many technical, environmental and workforce challenges. Currently Chevron is employing about 2,300 workers.
Chevron supports Bangladesh’s goal of maximizing the nation’s energy potential by actively investing in projects that deliver. Chevron also produces natural gas from the Jalalabad and Moulavi Bazar fields, both of which produce near full capacity.
The Recruitment ProcessChevron provides a career at one of the world’s leading energy companies, with operations that span the globe and cover the entire spectrum of industry disciplines. More than just a place to work, Chevron represents a world of opportunity, challenge and fulfillment. That is why Chevron intends to generate a highly qualified candidate pool for their recruitment process. Chevron has no specific period for recruiting, unlike many other companies. It only recruits when there is a vacancy. For some projects, Chevron engages contractual hiring i.e. recruits part-time employees or temporaries. For permanent posts internal recruitment is used as a first priority.
This results in vacancies in the lower level of the organization leading Chevron to use the external recruitment process. In case generating a suitable candidate pool via the internal recruiting method fails, Chevron relies on external recruiting method. For many temporary projects, e.g. surveying or researching a geological region Chevron prefers the experts, researches and geologists who worked in previous projects. They are contacted personally via e-mails. If Chevron fails to find someone suitable, it chooses professionals and current experts judging by their past performances.
The Overall Process
Chevron carries out human resource planning to decide the number of employees that are needed by the organization to carry out company operations and attain its objectives. At first, it sets up the qualifications necessary for the vacant post. After that it attracts a pool of candidates through its internal and external recruitment methods that are explained in details in the following section.
Once it has attracted and got enough job applicants, it carries out a preliminary screening process of the resumes. Selected applicants are called for a written test. Number of people called for the test varies along with the post. In high grade managerial and decision making posts few people are called for the written test. For the entry level posts comparatively more people are called. After the written test, it calls the top few candidates for an interview. It determines the Yield Ratio for any two immediate stages and calls them accordingly.
Here also the number of candidates called for interview varies along with the post. After a successful interviews Chevron chooses the required number of candidates for the vacant positions and give job offers. Also there is a medical and psychological test which the candidate has to pass. There some medical and physical abilities for a certain job. These abilities are graded to different classes in accordance with the job. It has a standard grade of medical fitness for a certain job. Candidate must fulfill those requirements as well.
Then a job preview is presented and negotiations are done with the candidate (mainly basic salary; other facilities are fixed and constant for every employee according to their grades). If the 1st choice candidate refuses to take the job it turn to the 2nd choice candidate. If the 2nd choice candidate also doesn’t take the job then the whole recruitment process is launched once again from the initial stage. It does not take extra people to tackle the turnover situation which might happen in the future. It only recruits the required number of people for the vacant posts. Internal Methods of Recruitment:
In internal recruitment process Chevron announces the vacancy of the specific post and request employees to apply. Company then gives announcement of such in the company notice board and also sends the employee’s e-mails. Any employee is free to apply. Chevron uses the following methods to find out the most qualified person suitable for the job during internal recruitment process.
Methods for Internal recruitment:1. Posting and bidding :The HR manager first posts openings on bulletin board. They provide information about the job for example they provide positions, locations, pay rates, qualifications etc. Thus they encourage employees to apply for the posts. Then the employees nominate themselves if they are interested in being considered for an opening.
2. Succession planning:The succession planning process is used for only a few highly rated managerial posts. When it comes to the process of recruiting Department Heads or Chief Executive Officer or Managing Director, company goes for this method of internal recruitment.
External Methods of Recruitment:
Chevron uses the following method for their external process of recruitment process: * Formal:i. Advertising: Chevron offers advertisements on major newspapers (one from both Bengali and English). The name of the vacant post, required qualifications and other necessary information related to the job are mentioned in these advertisements. This is the main external method used by Chevron for their recruitment process.
A sample advertisement used by Chevron has been provided in the appendix.
ii. Internet Recruitment: Chevron advertises its job vacancies on the major local job search firms (e.g. bdjobs.com). It collects the resumes of the interested job applicants online. The applicants are provided with a unique tracking number. This number is generated automatically by the e-Recruitment System at the time of submission. The password is provided at the time of filling the job application form. This is required if any candidate wants to edit their CV online.
iii. Campus Recruitment: This type of external recruitment is also practiced by Chevron. It takes interns through such process for various vacant jobs. If the performance of the interns is found to be satisfactory, they are hired on a permanent basis.
These are the basic two formal methods of recruitment practiced by Chevron. Other popular methods such as the usage of job agencies are not practiced by Chevron. * Informal:i. Referrals: any employee can suggest a candidate i.e. refer a candidate for the job vacancies and hand over his/her resume to the HR department or to the concerned person physically.
Other Recruitment PhilosophiesChevron has a certain recruitment philosophy which is known as 4 R. * Right People: the most suitable person or candidate* Right Place: appropriate position in the organization hierarchy * Right Time: the correct time when there is a vacancy* Right Skill: necessary and relevant skills and abilities Chevron looks for these factors to get a good match with a particular candidate’s detail while recruiting.
For some senior positions like department heads or top managers or policy changing and decision making positions they apply head-hunting as well. When they cannot find a perfect match for such positions by internal recruiting, they use head-hunting. Some head-hunting firms are affiliated with Chevron and they are given the task of finding the most qualified and suitable person for that particular position who has been performing in the market considerably well for quite a while as such senior positions require a lot of relevant experience.
After getting a short list of the most suitable candidates from the head-hunting firms, job offers are made to them. Their job offers are usually attractive enough to get their attentions. Then negotiations take place which mainly involves the figure of basic salary and incentives or performance rewards, as the candidates enjoy grade A benefits which are fixed. Thus Chevron recruits the most qualified, experienced and well-performed candidate for their senior positions.
Commitment to diversity
When recruiting, Chevron does not exhibit any sort of discrimination. If the candidate is qualified for the tasks and responsibilities that the job asks of them, it hires that individual regardless of the gender, religion, ethnicity, appearance etc. Physically challenged individuals are also recruited if they are qualified for the job. Chevron also recruits from the disadvantaged and disabled labor force if the candidate is qualified.
SynopsisSo to sum up, the following points describe the overall recruitment process of Chevron: * Number of people called for the test varies along with the post.
* Chevron goes for internal recruitment initially. If that fails they go for external recruitment.
* For the entry level posts comparatively more people are called. After the written test, it calls the top few candidates for an interview. Here also the number of candidates called for interview varies along with the post. After a successful interviews Chevron chooses the required number of candidates for the vacant positions and give job offers. There some medical and physical abilities for a certain job. These abilities are graded to different classes in accordance with the job. Candidate must fulfill those requirements as well.
* For some senior positions like department heads or top managers orpolicy changing and decision making positions they apply head-hunting as well. After getting a short list of the most suitable candidates from the head-hunting firms, job offers are made to them.
* If the 1st choice candidate refuses to take the job it turns to the 2nd choice candidate. If the 2nd choice candidate also doesn’t take the job then the whole recruitment process is launched once again from the initial stage. It only recruits the required number of people for the vacant posts.
* When recruiting, Chevron does not exhibit any sort of discrimination. Physically challenged individuals are also recruited if they are qualified for the job. Chevron also recruits from the disadvantaged and disabled labor force if the candidate is qualified.
* Chevron looks for these factors to get a good match with a particular candidate’s detail while recruiting.
* Other popular methods such as the usage of job agencies are not practiced by Chevron.
* 4Rs : Right people, right place, right time, right skill
AppendicesAppendix A: Questionnaire
* When and how does Chevron recruit?* Why use these methods?* Which external recruitment method does Chevron follow?* Formal* Informal* In case of Formal where does Chevron advertise?* Newspaper* Internet* In case of Informal what does Chevron prefer?* Referrals* Rehiring* What is the overall external recruitment process?* Which internal recruitment method does Chevron follow?* Posting and bidding* Nominations* Succession planning* How does Chevron announce a vacancy when it follows internal recruitment process? * Does Chevron engage in periodic hiring?* What does Chevron do to prevent shortages in economic downturns? * What are Chevron’s hiring goals –* highly qualified candidates?* fill vacancies quickly?* fill vacancies at minimal costs?* hire well performers?* hire people who will stay?* generate positive public relations?
* When recruiting, how does Chevron manage diversity?* Does Chevron hire from disadvantaged and disabled labor force? * Does Chevron use the help of executive search firms?* Does Chevron conduct campus hiring?* Does Chevron follow market orientation to candidates?* What ethical issues Chevron deal with when recruiting?
Appendix B: Newspaper Advertisement