Brief Comparison Between Toyota and Bmw

Toyota Motor Company is a Japanese automotive company that is founded on August 28, 1937 by Kiichiro Toyoda – Son of Sakichi Toyoda, where his father owns a company that specializes in manufacturing automatic looms. The company Toyota is one of the largest automotive manufacturers in the world, owning Lexus, Daihatsu and Hino, it was ranked 1st for producing the most units in 2010. At present, Fujio Cho – Chairman and Representative Director and Akio Toyoda (Grandson of Kiichiro Toyoda) – President and Representative Director are the key management people of Toyota.

A special note is that Fujio Cho is one of the two people out of the Toyoda family that lead Toyota Motor Company. Toyota’s core business is the manufacture and sale of automobiles where there are approximately 70 different models on sale under Toyota’s name, with different product lines such as sedans, coupes, vans and hybrids to suit different market needs globally. With 36 factories in 28 nations around the world, 8 of those are in Japan to cope with all the models that Toyota is producing. Toyota’s main competition would be Honda, Nissan for domestic competitors and Volkswagen and Ford for international competitors.

BMW – Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (English: Bavarian Motor Works Co.) is a German automotive company that is founded on 1916 that specialize in automobile, motorcycle and engine manufacturing. Which now owns the brand BMW, Rolls-Royce and Mini. At first, BMW’s core business was to manufacture aircraft engines and shifted to motorcycle from 1923 and then automobiles from 1928 since BMW was forced to terminate the aircraft engine production under the peace treaties established after World War I.

Now, BMW’s core business is at automobile manufacture and sale, just the sales of BMW cars occupied 78% of BMW’s total sale. At present, BMW is still owned by the Quandt family (founder of BMW) with a total share of 46.7% and the rest of 53.3% free floating in the public market. However, the Quandt family does not involve with any activities in BMW, BMW is run by a board of management under different sectors – Production, Finance, Purchasing and Supplier Network, HR and Industrial relations, Development and Sales and Marketing.

BMW currently have 11 main models where a few of the models have different variant such as Hatchback, Coupe, Convertible and wagon, that makes it a total of 28 different models and are manufactured in 3 separated factories in South Africa, United States and China depending on models. BMW’s main competitor would be Acura, Infiniti and Lexus for international competitors and Audi and Mercedes-Benz for domestic competitors.