Assessment Conditions————————————————-This assessment is Open Book. You will have access to resource material to complete the activities. However, your answers must be your own, NOT copied.
Declaration|I declare that all the work that I am submitting for this assessment is my own work and that no other person has completed any part of this assessment for me. I am also aware of any penalties contained in the BEST Training Student Handbook for providing a false declaration.| Signed: _____________________________| Date: ________________|
Analyse the advantages and disadvantages of working in groups
Question One* Analyse at least FIVE of the ten areas listed below looking at the advantages and disadvantages of working in groups.
* Size| * Shared Goals|* Skills and Knowledge| * Time|* Attitudes| * Context|* Hierarchy| * Task and Process Orientation|* Cost| * Culture (Ethnic/or Corporate)|
You will need to back up your information with real-life situations where you have been part of a group and/or case studies you have researched. ————————————————-
Question Two* Explain at least TWO situations where the use of group would be appropriate or inappropriate.
* Discuss FIVE advantages and FIVE disadvantages of working in groups. Relate your answers to all of the following areas.
* Quality of decisions| * Commitment to decisions|* Relationship building| * Task familiarity|
* Examine FIVE factors from the list below that influence groupeffectiveness.
* Group goals| * Balance of goals|* expertise| * norms|* conflict| * attitudes|* commitment| |
Explain group processes.
Write a report which covers the areas listed below. You will need to back up your information with theories, and/or case studies and/or real-life situations where you have been part of a group to emphasize your main points | | | | |
Group Development* Explain group processes in terms of the stages of group development.
Group Goals* Identify group goals and norms operating within groups in general.
Group Behaviours* Identify the different behaviours and roles that are often exhibited within a group by participants.
Group Leadership Styles* Explain three leadership styles and compare their effect on a range of groups.
Group Decision Making* Explain three decision making styles and compared the styles in terms of their effect on group function.
Group Roles* Explain three Task roles and three Maintenance roles that are exhibited by participants and outline their effect on group function.
Strategies for groups* Identified the potential consequences of groupthink on effective decision making. * Describe two strategies that can be used to avoid groupthink happening.
Outline strategies to manage conflict in a group
| Give detailed information for each of the following areas.
* Describe the positive and negative effects of conflict in terms of their impact on group function.
Identify the strategies that can be used for managing conflict in a group and explain in terms of mitigating (to give somebody an acceptable reason for taking a particular action) the impact of conflict on group function. * You need to include the following:
1. Accommodation2. Avoidance3. Compromise4. Competition5. Collaboration
Cultures (ethnic) within Groups
* Identified cultural influences on group processes and explain their effect on group function. At least three examples of different cultural influences is required.
* Identity cultural preferences in conflict management styles
* Discuss these cultural preferences in terms of their impact on managing conflict in a group.
At least two examples of different cultural preferences is required